08 December 2009

Why I May Never Find A Job

    I had a job interview last Friday. I thought that it went well, and the owner of the establishment informed me at the conclusion of the interview that I was the front- runner for the position. I didn't ask for exorbitant amounts of money (Ten bucks an hour, plus a percentage of the monthly sales.) I was my normal well spoken, charming, insightful self. I even got a couple of laughs out of the owner. He told me he would be making his final decision by Saturday.

    Well, here it is, Tuesday, and I haven't heard from him. Yesterday I sent him an email, asking him if he, in fact, had made his decision and if so, why was I not considered for the position. I have received no response.
    I suppose I find this so annoying because, with a little feedback, I could alter the way I'm approaching my job search, be more effective, and maybe actually GET A JOB.
    I'm curious to find out if this is a standard practice in all businesses. When you are told that you are being considered for a position, and you don't get it, does the company have a responsibility to tell you why you did not "get the gig?" It seems only fair, especially after telling you that you are a strong contender for the position, to inform you as to why you were not hired.
    I know it makes me sound like a braggart, but there are very few cooks/ chefs out there that can match my depth and breadth of experience. If prospective employers took the time to check my references, they would find out that I'm a bulldog who's always looking for inspiration, is willing to do whatever it takes to succeed, and will not settle for "good enough." Apparently, wanting to make a decent living, and not working ninety hours a week is too much to ask.
    It probably has a lot to do with my unstable work history. I have had SIX JOBS IN THE LAST EIGHTEEN MONTHS, and have left them all for a variety of crappy treatment, general disrespect to employees, and full blown sociopathic behavior. It's hard to have a stable work history when you work for generally unstable people, some of whom I have featured on this blog!
    That's all I got today!

Love,Peace, and Bacon grease!

No comments: