08 October 2009

The Best Way to Promote a Business

Well, I had two interviews today, at what seem like decent places. But they all seem like decent places at first, don't they?
Successful advertising and promotions are essential to the survival of any business, large or small. Especially restaurants.
From the shortest post on craigslist, to the most globally overblown promos for ghastly Jerry Bruckheimer films, effective advertising is key.But there is a much more valuable advertising resource available to all companies. Can you guess what it is?
A resource that not only creates a positive public image of your company and products/ services, it also breeds future willing and enthusiastic employees. Have you guessed yet?
A resource that is available in any size, color, or quantity. A resource that, with care and good management, gets more effective with time. C'mon it's plain as day!
A resource for instant feedback. A resource more valuable than a full page print ad. Still wondering?

I'm going to bold, here. I'm not yelling, I just want everyone to get it.

YOUR EMPLOYEE'S POSITIVE EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO PROMOTE YOUR RESTAURANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ask any full time chef or cook about his job, and if he/ she is being honest, nine times out of ten, you'll get an answer containing some variation of the following:

"I love cooking, but... the hours are terrible, I have to do the dishes too,my boss is a coked up freak who blows up at employees in front of other employees and customers, the manager has the people skills of a rusty knife and dips into the till, the recipes are mediocre at best, the kitchen isn't clean due to the fact that the help is rushed out the door to "Save on labor.", my boss keeps grabbing my ass/ junk, my boss lies to my face, my hours/ paycheck are constantly "adjusted", my paycheck bounces while several less than legal employees take home envelopes full of cash, having no health insurance sucks, I'm forced to live with a douchebag roommate because I can't afford to live on my own on what I make, etc."

An employee or former employee who is satisfied by his/her job will say:

"I love my job, I get along with the staff, the owner/ manager is an effective communicator, the food is great, you should definitely come in, I sent my son there to get a job when he turned fifteen, hard work and innovation are rewarded, I have a great benefits package, etc."

I really cannot believe the reprehensible treatment and conditions so many have endured trying to make a living "in the business", and I certainly don't know of any industry that asks more from, and gives less to, it's employees. Unless you win in Vegas or the stock market (six of one...), labor precedes capital. Happy labor precedes more capital through FREE ADVERTISING. Cared for employees care for businesses. To quote a famous American author, "'Nuff said."

Again, I urge you to comment and leave your tales of restaurant ridiculousness. I will edit and post the most outrageous. Anonymously, of course. Still send me names of establishments, I will try to compile an online database of places to stay away from in a job hunt.
Tomorrow I will feature a story called, "The Punching of the Pasta." Possibly the funniest/ scariest thing I've ever seen in a restaurant.

No comments: