29 October 2009

Eulogy for a Friend

I lost a friend of twenty years today. Sadly, my cat, Tiger died this morning. I've had him since I was fourteen.

In his younger days, Tiger was quite the mouser, and snaker, and birder. I'd come home to the obligatory dead fauna on the doormat. He was the sentry of my compound in the 'burbs. When my mother would go next door, or to the corner store, the cat would follow her, and stand guard outside the door. When one of the indoor cats would sneak out, Tiger would follow them around, and eventually lead me to the missing feline.

He was a cat's cat; aloof as they come. He would let you pet him, but only on his terms. Sometimes, when he was lolling in the sun, on a warm day, he would let me scratch his belly. He never followed me around after I'd scratched his gut. He wasn't needy. He knew that the next time I noticed him basking in the sun, I'd come.

The house will seem a little bit emptier tonight. Rest in Peace, Tiger.

No comments: