23 October 2009

War of Annoyance or I Should Have Been a Spammer!

     Welcome back, everyone! I took a few days off from posting to let my rage build up to proper ranting levels. It only took a week!
     As you all know, my job search has been less than stellar. I've been sending out resumes on almost a daily basis since the middle of July, and have received three responses that resulted in two interviews and a "No, thank you." to a restaurant that is owned by one of the most notorious d- bags in Rhode Island. Here's where the fun starts.
     On Monday of this week, I sent an email to sixteen craigslist postings for jobs. I  received one  response, NOT offering me me an interview. I'll touch on this later.
     On Tuesday, I sent out fifteen emails, (16-1= 15), and received one response. I'll touch on the responses at the end of this post.
     On Wednesday, I sent  fourteen emails, and received no response.
     On Thursday, I sent the same fourteen emails, and received no response.
     On Friday, I sent the same fourteen emails, and received no response.
     Do you see a pattern forming?
     I VOW to send these emails everyday, until I receive some kind of response, even if it is, "Please stop emailing me." Do these folks know how easy it is to set up an automatic email responder? (Pretty easy.)
Maybe you write some thing like, "Thanks for your interest. Interviews will be held on Oct. xx and xx. If you do not hear from us by then, you are not in contention for the position. 
Thank you,
Some restaurant owner/ manager"
    I understand that, in today's economy, anyone who posts an ad for employment on craigslist must be inundated with responses. But that is no reason to not be PROFESSIONAL. A simple, "Thanks, but no thanks." is all I'm asking. Hit  "Read More" to read about the two responses I did receive.


Love, Peace, and Bacon grease!

     I'll start each of these with the original posting.


"New Deli/restaurant opening in early November seeking dependable person for afternoons 3-4 hours Mon-Fri and possibly Thurs and Friday Nights. Must have experience prepping and making sandwiches and working on the line. . Must have basic food knowledge and be able to work quickly on the line. Non smoking and clean record. Please forward resume or experience and salary requirements"


I replied:


"Just a heads up. You cannot advertise that you will only hire non- smokers. That is DISCRIMINATORY. Also, the last time I checked, cigarettes were LEGAL. How can you tell someone they can't work for you because they partake in completely legal behavior? I suggest you re- word your ad. My resume is attached.



Signed,
A Reformed Smoker"


     This was the fastest response I got. I hope they get back to people that they consider for the job as quickly. Less than an hour later, I received:


"Actually it is ok to advertise for a non smoker.  If you were applying for a job to watch my children I can absolutley (sic) advertise for a non smoker, if I were filling an apartment I can advertise for a non smoker.  Sorry you are so offended but we are looking for a non smoker."


    I send:


"I beg to differ. You can ask that babysitters not smoke around your children, and you can ask renters not to smoke in the apartment, but you cannot strictly hire or rent to non- smokers. Check with the ACLU. Also, I am not offended, I was just offering advice on how to not get sued for discriminatory hiring practices." 


     I didn't hear back from them.




     Here's the second exchange:


"We are a small pizza/sub shop that can feel like a high volume restaurant at times. 
We are currently looking to hire a few people before our busy season begins next month.

The right person will be:

Customer service minded
Clean and neat in appearance
Able to learn our way (not yours)
Available to work one weekend shift each week (with some exceptions)
Some pizza and or sandwich experience
Team player

We can provide a fixed/flexible schedule for the right people. Please do not apply if you do not take pride in yourself or your work.
Applications will be taken Monday thru Thursday between 9am - 11am and 2pm - 4pm @ Sports View Pizza 170 Jefferson Blvd. Warwick
Ask for Celeste or Joe and be prepared to interview."



     I emailed my resume for TWO DAYS, before getting this response:


"The ad specifically says to come in at certain times, fill an application and be prepared for an interview on the spot!"


     I responded:


"My apologies. Did you even look at my resume?  I assumed when I saw an ad on a WEB BASED forum, you would want WEB BASED responses. Silly me! Anything else you want to know about me is here."
(The link was to this blog!)


     Just thought I'd share!



















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We place ads on Craiglist that say no phone calls but people still call. And they call during lunch or dinner hour! We ask people to apply in person. Maybe these places don't want responses by e-mail. Why don't you just show up at the restaurant you want to work at in the morning or in between lunch and dinner and ask to speak to the owner. We have been looking for people for months and have had no luck. I don't think we are D-Bags and just don't understand in this economy why we can't find some decent people who want to work. I'm not trying to criticize but just want to understand. I apologize if we ever received e-mail and never responded.