25 October 2009

To the Anonymous Comment from a Reasonable Person

Here is a response to my latest post, from a reasonable restaurant owner:
  
      "We place ads on Craiglist that say no phone calls but people still call. And they call during lunch or dinner hour! We ask people to apply in person. Maybe these places don't want responses by e-mail. Why don't you just show up at the restaurant you want to work at in the morning or in between lunch and dinner and ask to speak to the owner. We have been looking for people for months and have had no luck. I don't think we are D-Bags and just don't understand in this economy why we can't find some decent people who want to work. I'm not trying to criticize but just want to understand. I apologize if we ever received e-mail and never responded."

      OK, the line "just want to understand", got me. This person took the time to reach out to someone who, by the way his blog reads, doesn't much care for him. Believe me, I have seen the other side of the coin. People's general lack of courtesy, intelligence, knowledge and motivation is astounding. So, I responded in kind. It's funny how starting an open dialog brings down peoples defenses, and focuses them more on what they have in common, than what separates them. Now, if we could only bring that to Washington!


     "Thanks for your response.
I've been in your shoes before.If I placed an ad that specifically said no phone calls, anyone who called would be out of the running. As a matter of fact, that's my policy!
     If you are getting calls, you put either your establishments name, address, or phone number in the posting; you are not one of the owners I'm railing against! Identifying your establishment in your ad allows potential applicants to perform "due diligence", if you will. I try to avoid sending my resume to a restaurant until I've seen the menu, the location, and eaten there on at least one, but preferably two occasions. The anonymity of craigslist doesn't allow me to do that!
     Craigslist allows you the area wide employment advertisement, that is so essential to your business, for free. Accepting emails is part of the bargain. It is relatively easy to set up an automated response on an email account. As a matter of fact, I'll do it for you! It allows you to sort through the applicants at your leisure. It allows you to pre-check peoples references,again, "due diligence."
     I apologize if I offended you, and I empathize with you on the lack of qualified, motivated help out there. Like I said, I've been in your shoes before. It's a shame you responded anonymously, you sound like a reasonable person. If you read this, and would like to not be anonymous, send me the name of your place on the comment board and I'll set up a new email account for you, with an automated responder!"

      Again, feel free to comment, you might make the blog!

Love, Peace, and Bacon grease!

No comments: