13 October 2009

The Waiting Game

I haven't posted in a couple of days. I've been mulling over several topics, but I decided to go with a salute to the waitstaff!

As a kitchen employee, lo, these many years, I have had the opportunity to witness, and be subject to subhuman treatment by chefs, owners, and management, alike. From bounced paychecks, to bald faced lies, to promises of promotion and money that never materialize, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of immoral, illegal, ill- advised, and downright cruel behavior on the part of restaurant owners in RI.
At times it's been enough to make me walk directly out of the restaurant, or as I like to call it, the "two day" notice. As in, "I am leaving TO-DAY!"
Anyone who has worked in the hospitality trade has probably had a run in with a tyrannical manager/ owner, and that is enough to take, but the waiters, waitresses, and bartenders also have to absorb the seemingly endless disdain and mistreatment of the general public, as well. Not to mention the lousy tippers!
Every waiter or waitress I know has at least a few stories of derision and condescension suffered at the hands of the "guests." I have seen perfectly nice young ladies reduced to tears because of monstrous behavior and treatment of restaurant customers. Guests? The way some people mistreat the help in restaurants, I definitely wouldn't invite them into my home!
Keep in mind, in most states, waitstaff wages are significantly lower than minimum wage, to account for the tip income. So if you don't tip, kids don't eat. If you can't afford a meal AND reasonable tip at a full service restaurant, go to a fast food place, or better yet, create a meal at home! Couples, cook with your spouses! Parents, cook with your children!

So, I tip my hat to the hard working service staff, who have to endure a double dose of derision on a daily.

Love, Peace, and Bacon grease!

No comments: