16 October 2009

Internet Hijinx or Finding Your Voice

Anoyone who's read this column of my blog, ------------------>
knows that the whole idea sprung from a frustrated attempt to determine if it's "just me" or the whole industry in which I'd built my career, that was, to use the local vernacular, fucked up. Imagine my relief and pleasure, when responses to my initial ad, and then my blog, have been so positive. Thanks for reading. I'll keep writing as long as you send me binary adulation!


I only received one negative email in response to my online ad.


I am cutting and pasting from the email body here:


"Fuck off and get a fucking job loser!"


Now, I received over 100 replys to that initial posting, this was the ONLY negative response, and was tied for the least coherent with one gentleman who exclaimed, "can i get a hell yeah." Why not? HELL, YEAH!!!
Well, feeling the need to get back quickly to all who respond to my posts, I sent the following:


"Thank you, Mr. ***** for stating your disagreement in a clear and concise manner, albeit in a limited vocabulary. These are exactly the types of behavior I was pointing out. Thank you for proving my point."


Then, later that day, I sent him a link to my blog. Every day. Since I started. Even when I didn't post. Yesterday, I received this email from him.


"Please don't email me anymore, please."


I immediately fired an email back:


Dear Mr *****,


     I apologize for your email address making it's way onto my blog's email list. I know you must have found some of the larger words confusing. You will be removed post haste!  I mistook your initial contact, as per my posting on craigslist, as a feeble attempt at humor, and an interest in my blog's content. Also, thanks for the career advice! I am currently "fucking off" and trying to "get a fucking job", as far as being a "loser", the only thing I've lost lately is my faith in humanity, thanks to people like you.


Very Sincerely,


Dave Fisher


Three things occurred to me as soon as I hit send. One, I hope this guy isn't a stalker/ murderer/ lawyer. Two, this shit is still pretty funny. And third, these things wouldn't happen if looking for a job took more than TWENTY MINUTES ON THE GODDAMNED COMPUTER!


Looking for a job used to take all day. You'd get up, grab a coffee and a newspaper, a stack of resumes, and out the door. Drive here, here, here, stop for lunch. Drive here, here, here, here, grab dinner and a beer, you deserve it. Finding work used to BE work. And even though you didn't have a job, you still felt like you accomplished  something. You went out, put on a decent shirt and those pants that make your ass look great, met some people, might have even had an impromptu interview.


Now, I look for a job in my underwear, which is a lousy place to work.


Love, Peace, and Bacon grease!









No comments: